Thursday, 10 December 2009

Nativity play season


Once again, it's the time of year for school nativity plays.

This year, Orla was in her first nativity play, and Joseph was in his fifth.  Normally this would mean attending two nativity plays, but in a break with tradition their school decided to have a play which included all the children between the ages of 4 and 9; so both children were in the same play. 

I had the honour of helping out as musical director (for free of course!).

There were three performances of the play, and all on the same day - yesterday.  Joseph was one of eight chosen for a solo speaking role.  He carried it off with aplomb.  He also performed in the school choir.  Orla was a very attractive angel.  Yes, I know I'm biased!  The picture at the side was given to me by the school since I was unable to take one myself.  (I thought that this was very considerate - I hadn't asked them for a picture.)  She sang her heart out with the rest of her class with "Away in a Manger".

The children were fantastic and the play was a great success.  Even the 4 year olds (like Orla), performing for the first time and after only 12 weeks at school, were terrific.  The kids' performances were really moving.  More than one parent had tears in their eyes.

But do you know what the best thing was, for the children and me?  After hours and hours of indecision, Marie plucked up enough courage to attend the final performance.  The children were thrilled.

Marie was pretty pleased with herself as well!


13 comments:

momcat said...

Moms will move mountains for their kids!

Nioniel said...

Well done Marie, I know how difficult it can be to go to these things but it's always worth it :)

alice said...

well done marie for breaking the anxiety cycle. it must of been really difficult. isnt it nice of the school also to give you a picture of orla.

Nechtan said...

Hi Robert,

You have every right to be biased. Orla looks like an angel there. And it is great that Joseph had the confidence to do one of the speaking roles. It must have been a very enjoyable time.

My oldest daughter had her nativity last yesterday and my youngest daughter's is tomorrow. I still can't manage it. It is really fantastic news that Marie managed to go. For all I've progressed I can't manage this so know what a massive step that is- especially in such a short space of time. She should be proud.

All the best

Nechtan

Coffeecup said...

High fives to Marie!

Orla's picture is absolutely gorgeous. If she wasn't dressed as an angel already she certainly looks like one. What a perfect china doll face she has. You must be incredibly proud of your family today. Well done everybody x x

Rachael said...

Thats brilliant for Marie!

Orla looks beautiful :)

Kaci said...

Orla is so adorable, she is such a pretty girl :)

So glad to hear Marie made it! Awesome :)

Robert said...

Thanks everyone! I didn't mention that I was proud of the little ones, did I? And of Marie. Yes, it was a good day.

Ruby said...

Orla looks so gorgeous, she has grown up so much.

Great work Marie!!! that is an awesome step, and sooo great that you could see your kids xmas play

rosiero said...

I knew it!!! I knew the kids would galvanise Marie into attempting the impossible. I am so pleased for her, for you and the kids. And Orla looks just perfect for that role as an angel.

Robert said...

Ruby - People are always commenting on Orla's good looks and, in particular, her hair. She will be my last child (7 should be enough!) and I seem to notice her growing up more than I did for the others. Marie really enjoyed going to the play. Perhaps the school will see more of her...

rosiero - you wise woman, you. Or have you got a crystal ball lol? Seriously though, thanks for taking an interest.

Michelle said...

What a darling picture! I'm glad to hear that Marie got everything stabilized again so she can continue to work on the Linden Method and do more things. Meds being screwed up is pure hell.

maz said...

Brilliant, I'm glad Marie got to see them too!
maz x