Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Mingling with Marie's Mental Mates at the Party for Panicky People - second succesful Saturday session


Sorry.  The long title is just me having a bit of fun with alliteration.  Just a little bit of self indulgence...

On Saturday evening, Marie hosted her second party for anxiety sufferers and their partners.  The first party (you can read about it here) was last December.  Our fourteen guests came from all over the South of England - five of them travelled more than three hours to get here!  Three stayed the weekend with us.

Most of our guests had never visited the Exmoor area before, and they were very impressed with the scenery and relaxed ambiance of the area.  The idyllic weather helped, of course.

What a great party it was!  It was a great bunch of people relaxing in the knowledge that if they felt a bit panicky, no one would look on them as nutters or weirdos.  Some guests arrived in time for dinner, while others came just afterwards and the gentle revelling continued until about 1.30 am. No one got too drunk, noisy, belligerent or annoying.  The five children also present got on together incredibly well and were no trouble.

Our weekend guests, whom Marie had met through a chatroom, were really nice folks and I expect that we'll see a lot more of them.

I have come to the conclusion - albeit in an unscientific manner - that panicky people are a nicer bunch of people than the "normal" types!

10 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

Those pictures really made me smile! Your title did too :) I'm so glad the meeting was successful and that everyone had fun! That's just awesome!

Robert said...

Thanks Kathy. Last weekend was a welcome, happy diversion from my (at the moment) quite stressful life.

diver said...

I'd agree with that conclusion. I wonder what it is? Less competitive? Less status-conscious? More sensitive?

Robert said...

diver - I think it's all the things you suggested, plus knowing that they need others in their lives and a lack of self confidence. Knowing that they need others to maintain their quality of life means that they are social beings (in whatever environment makes this possible); lacking self-confidence, they are rarely aggressive, dogmatic or superior in attitude.

I expect that if I gave this matter more consideration I could come up with more theories, but who cares? I now know with some certainty that if I go to a gathering of anxious folk I'll be meeting a nice bunch of people.

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

They were very brave to face those long journeys even if they were among like-minded people.

Nechtan said...

Hi Robert,

Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves, good stuff. Its good that people can get together like this and be relaxed enough to enjoy themselves. I'm sure it must also have a great therapeutic quality for some of them too who maybe don't get to be around groups of people that often.

All the best

Nechtan

Em said...

looks like you all had a great time. laughed at the titles post!x

Grumpy Old Ken said...

What an illuminating post. I'm learning of a world of which I have little experience. That in itself is helpful.

maz said...

Sounds like you all had a great time and everyone looks like they're having fun!
maz x

Jill Green said...

Love love love these pics and the fact that you met these friends online. I have met some of the kindest people online. What a great way to connect. thanks for sharing. You make me smile :)