Friday, 18 July 2008

Syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures

Here's a picture of Orla sitting on my knee eating birthday cake. The occasion is the family party to celebrate her 3rd birthday, last weekend.


It's just coincidence, of course, but just after her 2nd birthday I wrote a post about her fitting episodes...and here I am, a year later, writing about them again. That's because she's recently been having them more frequently. Is it also a coincidence that they became more frequent when Marie's anxiety increased significantly?

The fits are all very similar in character. Orla has an unexpected bump/pain/injury; she cries; the crying stops; she goes completely limp, like dead; her breathing and/or her heart stop(s); she turns white or blue; suddenly she comes "back to life" and resumes crying, during which she is inconsolable but requires being held close; there is a recovery period (the length of which can vary from several minutes to a couple of hours); everything goes back to normal. The thing is, I just can't get used to her "dying" in my arms. Even though I know that it won't last very long...but it feels like it is lasting very long. My relief when she resumes crying is tempered by the knowledge that the recovery is distressing for her.

A
RAS sufferer called Nikki added a comment to my previous post on this subject and I found it very comforting. (Blogging has its rewards!) Also, since I know that many RAS sufferers go on to suffer from anxiety conditions and/or depression, I can try to make sure that Orla has the best chance of avoiding that.

But I still can't get used to it....


4 comments:

rosiero said...

You must have been so frightened the first time it happened. How awful. Do hope she grows out of them.

Robert said...

Most people leave it behind at adolescence. I've got my fingers crossed!

Rachael Hale said...

That must be awful for you and marie to see and for orla to go through, i too hope it doesnt stay with her
x

maz said...

Hi Robert how are things now with Orla?
Things like this are always scary - I remeber them well when my own son was small.

I sure hope things are good you deserve a bit of luck!

Incidently, our son did outgrow all seizure activity by the age of 12 so it can and does happen!

maz x