Sunday, 22 February 2009

Agoraphobia - a small, temporary? improvement...

So Marie had her first proper hypnotherapy session with her latest therapist on Wednesday evening. It was her first "proper" session because the first time she saw him was a getting-to-know-you session, although he subsequently emailed her an mp3 to which Marie has been listening daily ever since.

Almost every time, after she sees a new therapist, Marie has a spell where her agoraphobia lessens. This spell is all too temporary. Marie is aware of this and discussed it with her latest therapist. He claimed that this showed that previous therapists had been at least partly successful, and that if she had continued with their instructions/advice, she would have noticed a more enduring improvement. An interesting perspective and one which made sense to Marie. She has decided to persist with this therapist's therapy for the long term - at least a few months.

The anticipated improvement in Marie's agoraphobia after her 1st session with her new therapist was realised. On Friday afternoon she drove to the shop across the street and back again. In the evening, we all went to Pinocchio's Italian restaurant for dinner.

On Saturday afternoon, we went to Weymouth to visit Marie's parents. For the first time in ages, she felt able to spend the night in her parents' hotel-sized home.

Then today (Sunday), while her parents entertained our children in Weymouth, Marie and I went to the close-by, picturesque village of Abbotsbury. We took Blaze with us. We had an excellent, freshly-prepared, home-made lunch. Later, we made the most of the lovely, spring-like, sunny weather by going to Chesil beach. Marie didn't venture far away from the car, of course, but Blaze had lots of fun. However, the outings of the entire weekend could not have happened a week earlier.

Now we shall see if the improvement is as temporary as previously. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about it. But I am hopeful.

19 comments:

Kaci said...

In her last blog post she was kinda depressed so I am glad to hear she has been feeling a bit better! I also used to see a hypnotherapist. I still have his cd and I listen to that daily and it seems to be helping.

Robert said...

Kaci - Marie WAS depressed, and still is a bit, but she got some of her normal cheerfulness back after the hypnotherapy session. I'll be glad to get my "old" Marie back!

WesleyG said...

When I was younger a hypnotherapist gave me a recording of a relaxation exercise he recorded and that almost always eased my nerves. Glad to see she may be the same.

Robert said...

WesleyG - Listening to the mp3 seems to be working for Marie, too.

Faith Hoffen said...

I am so happy for you guys that she is making progress! That is great!

Robert said...

Thanks for the support, Faith. Let's hope that progress continues!

KatduGers said...

Hi Robert - so glad for all of you that Marie seems to be making a little progress. So nice to see some photos of her out and about.

Re your comment on my blog - I do post loads of pictures on my other blog which you can find here - http://katdugers.blogspot.com/

I hope the hypnotherapy keeps working, and that Marie finds that she can stick to it.

Robert said...

Hi KduG - I hope to have lots more pics of Marie outdoors, enjoying herself!

Tara@Sticky Fingers said...

I am fascinated by hypnotherapy and how it works. It seems just too good to be true in some way, but I have seen proof of it working (I have met a 9 year old boy with a debilitating fear of dogs who was 'cured' and a woman who was terrified of thunderstorms whose life was totally turned around.
I really hope it works out.

Robert said...

Hi Tara - I really hope it works too! And if it does, and I find out how it does, I'll let you know!

Nechtan said...

Hi Robert,

Great stuff. Sounds like a fantastic couple of days for Marie. I really hope the therapy continues to build on this and Marie can continue at least at that level. It must have been a really satisfying weekend and one that you though you would not see for a while. My fingers are crossed for more of those to come because I know how special as a family they are- more so when you have lost them for so long.

All the best

Nechtan

Eddie 2-Sox said...

Hi chaps, looks good with some signs of progress.

Mainly wanted to say Have Fun With Pancake Day!

Halo said...

Hi Robert - Sounds like some good progress being made there. All the best for you and Marie.

Robert said...

Nechtan - I want more of those good weekends!

E2S - Pancake day has passed with copious amounts of flour etc. all over the kitchen floor, but the the
kids had a really good time.

Halo - I hope your pancake day was good, too!

Ruby said...

Hi Marie & Robert

I finally have my internet back :):)I'm glad I had my domain renewal on auto, or I would have lost that.

Great to read about the hypnotherapy, it sounds the most positive outcome for Marie so far. She has done so much lately, should be really proud of herself.

Ruby

Bsquared86 said...

This sounds great! I'm hopeful as well. Maybe, if she continues to work with this therapist, this progress will continue.

Good luck to you all!

Robert said...

Ruby - Great to have you back!!!! I often wondered what was happening in your life. Now I'll be able to catch up.

Bsquared86 - Thanks for taking an interest. I see life is going well for you, and I'm happy for you!

maz said...

I'm so pleased for you both!
Sounds like you had a grand day out!

maz x

Robert said...

Thanks Maz - we had a good weekend!