Thursday, 8 April 2010

The Riverdance show



Last night I went to see Riverdance at the Bristol Hippodrome.

This famous show has been touring the world since 1995 and this year it is presenting its farewell tour.  I thought that I had better see it while I could.  I went with daughters Colleen and Collette and much to my surprise Joseph wanted to see the show too (I had showed him clips on You Tube).

But the person I most wanted to take to the show was unable to go.  That person wasn't, on this occasion, my dear wife Marie (although I would have liked to have taken her too, but her agoraphobia won't let her venture into any theatre just now).  No, on this occasion I wished that my dad could have gone with me.  My father was an amazing person and parent, and I'll It was a show that he had always planned on seeing, but unfortunately he died without realising that ambition.  Because of this, my enjoyment of the show was tinged with sadness.  My daughters felt a little like this too, because they were both very fond of their grandfather.

It was a great show, and like the rest of us, Joseph really enjoyed it.  Being only 8 years old, I was quite impressed by the interest that he showed in the show.

Here's a recent clip of the show in passable quality.  It lasts nearly 9 minutes and starts off with a little flamenco style dancing, followed by the two principle dancers.  The whole troupe assembles for the last 3 or so minutes.


Enjoy.


6 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

When did your father pass? I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to enjoy the show with your children though. That will be a memory they'll never forget.

Jedediah said...

I got to see Lord of the Dance a few years ago and I enjoyed it very much. And I laughed very hard when I discovered this on one of my Shaun the Sheep-DVDs ;) Maybe your kids will get a kick out of it, too :)

Robert said...

Hi ♥ Kathy - My dad - who is also my hero and role model - died in 1998. I'll never fill his shoes, but I keep trying. Still miss him loads, although the sorrow has almost gone. Perhaps I'll post about him when Father's Day comes around (some year soon).

Robert said...

Hi Jennifer - My kids did get a kid out of that video clip :0) Thanks for the link!

The Fairweather Blogger said...

I think your Father would have been there with you, watching it through your eyes. So long as we have memories a person never really leaves us.

(Did you get my Windows Messenger message?)

Gary

Robert said...

Hi Gary - yes, my father still lives on in my memory...but it's not quite as good as having him around in the flesh! (Yes, got your message.)