Tuesday, 13 April 2010

On Safari?



Marie and I visited Longleat Safari Park during our honeymoon, 4 years ago. She has often mentioned revisiting it in the intervening years. However, organising a trip with an agoraphobia sufferer while accommodating your family requires some organising – especially when the weather is also a consideration. However, on Sunday all things were favourable and Marie, our two children Joseph and Orla, my grandson Reece, my adult daughter Colleen and I made the journey to Longleat. (What would I do without a car that seats up to 7 persons?)

One of the monkeys at Lonleat has contracted Simean Herpes B virus. How this happened is a mystery since it is a closed community; but the monkey park – arguably the most popular part of the safari park, particularly with children – was closed.

Despite missing the monkeys, we had an enjoyable drive through the park. We were lucky to have a lioness stroll right in front of our car. Normally all you can see are the prides lazing some distance away. Then 2 wolves observed us for a while from very close quarters – right beside our car!  Again, an unusual occurrence. We picnicked beside the wallabies and the warthogs. It wasn't the warmest of days, but bright sunshine and just the faintest of breezes made the weather acceptable for an al fresco lunch.

Afterwards, Colleen took the children to see all the other attractions in the Longleat estate except Longleat House itself, which, best example of Elizabethan architecture or not, would have been boring for the children. Meanwhile, Marie and I drove around the nearby picturesque villages and rested in a sunny forest glade until it was time to collect the tired and happy little ones.

For Marie, it was an extremely enjoyable day – a change from her normal diet of going from room to room at home! Every one else had a great time too...except that I would have preferred to have joined the children going around the other attractions... However, I was extremely grateful to Colleen. Without her, the children's day would have not been nearly so enjoyable – indeed, it is doubtful that we would have made the trip at all.

12 comments:

Sarah♥ said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all :)

♥ Kathy said...

How fun! I wish there was a place like that around here!

Em said...

im glad you had a good day out, hope theres many more to come. xx

Sapphyre said...

Colleen sounds like a wonderful daughter. Is Reece close to your younger children in age? (You may have to draw us up a family tree some time lol!)

Kaci said...

Sounds like a fun day! Glad Marie was able to get out and enjoy it!

Jedediah said...

I love going to the zoo, but I don't think I've ever been to a safari park. The wolf encounter sounds exciting, I always wonder who's watching who with wolves anyway.

Dirty Butter said...

It's good to read about trips ALL of you are able to make!! That's very encouraging, I know.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, Robert.

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Sorry I have not commented for a while. Now I am playing catching-up. So glad you had a good day out. I remember our trip to Longleat many many years ago. We have a photograph to prove that a monkey jumped onto our car bonnet and proceeded to dismantle our wing mirror before or very eyes. It then tried to eat the mirror. We were more concerned that it was going to hurt itself rather than the fact our car was damaged.

Robert said...

Sapphyre - Yes, Colleen is a great daughter. All my daughters are great - in their various ways! My grandson Reece is one year older than my youngest daughter (and 3 years younger than Joseph).

Robert said...

Addy - I know all about blog catch-up! Because Marie has been contributing very little to the running of our family, my work load is immense. Blog-reading time is at a premium!

Robert said...

Sarah, Cathy, em, Kaci, Jed & DB - Thanks everyone for bothering to comment on my blog. And sorry that I have taken so long to acknowledge your comments. Your comments are much appreciated!

signs symptoms agoraphobia said...

Great family you have,it sound like your having a lot of fun.