Friday, 7 March 2008

Agoraphobia & Depression (2)

So it's not a major breakthrough. It's not like the anxiety problem has gone away. But there is a little chink of light becoming visible...possibly at the end of the tunnel of depression?

Marie drove her car today. Just her and Orla. Not far. Just to the flower shop close to our home. Very close, actually. But even though she had some anticipatory anxiety, she did it.

And...

A little parcel from Amazon arrived this morning. There was a book inside - "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies". Marie had ordered it. She wants me to help her to work her way through it. We've been here before - a new idea/scheme/therapy - and it has come to naught. But...underlying this is the desire to improve life and the belief that it can be improved.

The depression isn't winning.


This evening we go to Collette's (Collette is daughter #4) new house for a little party to celebrate Colleen's (Colleen is daughter # 2) birthday. From there we go to Weymouth to stay with Marie's parents for the weekend. Her nephew Sachin is to be christened tomorrow and there's a party afterwards.

I am hopeful that Marie will be on better form next week.


6 comments:

SarahC♥ said...

Driving any distance is a fantastic achievement. How far exactly did Marie drive, 'cause you say it was very close, thats from a "normal" persons perspective, to an agoraphobic it feels like a million miles.

I got the Dummies book from the library. It was too much for me to take in :( Unlike you, my husband wouldn't help me.

Oh well...back to the Shrink in 4 days..lol

Aff said...

:-D :-D :-D

Have a great few days!

Speaking of books, my healthcare professional *stifles guffaw* recommended one to me but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

Once I've located the title, I'll post it here.

maz said...

I hope things go well, little steps always give some hope back don't they!

maz x

Robert said...

Hi Sarah

The florist is about 10m from our building. However, because Marie's car is parked at the rear of the building, she has quite a lot further to drive...but still not any significant distance.

Marie, like you couldn't handle the Dummies book. I've quickly looked through it, so I can see that most of the book deals with issues that don't relate to Marie, so it's not as big a task as I anticipated. However, I think it would be VERY difficult for one person to follow the advice and monitor their own progress, all unaided. As I learn more about this, I'll pass on whatever info I can to you.

Good luck with the shrink!

Robert said...

Thanks for the comment, Aff. And (in anticipation) for the title of the book your *?healthcare professional?* recommended.

Robert said...

Maz -

I'll unashamedly clutch at ANY straw offered!

Thanks for taking an interest!