Friday, 29 January 2010

Baby Lucas home at last!



  Orla can't get enough of baby Lucas!

Baby Lucas, my 6th grandchild, was born about 10 days late, heavy and after a prolonged labour.  Additionally, quite common in the circumstances, the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.  He had fluid in his lungs, had some difficulty breathing and was too weak to suckle.  He couldn't go home.  After a couple of days in hospital, he contracted a chest infection and had to be treated with antibiotics.

It was over a week before he got home, and next day Marie and I and the children went to Collette's home to introduce ourselves to the baby.  That was a couple of days ago.  Lucas was unimpressed with our visit, but we were so impressed by him!  He's beautiful!

Parents Collette and Neil seem to be totally baby orientated, so Lucas is certain of a good home.  Marie and I, and sisters Colleen and Carla have all volunteered to babysit just as soon as Collette and Neil will let us!

Everyone related to the happy couple has been to see him by now - except Collette's mother, my 2nd wife (ex-wife, actually).  Although Collette is her youngest child and Lucas is her first grandchild, she hasn't yet made time to visit them - nor has she any definite plans to do so.  I hope Collette doesn't feel too let down by this.  However, Collette and I have, and have always had, a very strong bond.  She knows that her siblings, Marie and I really value her and her baby, and we'll always be there for them.

11 comments:

momcat said...

Good to hear that little Lucas is home now and going from strength to strength. Not so good that his own gran hasn't been to see him yet. Family is important. Hope this sorts itself out soon.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

What a relief that must be for you and your family. That is a gorgeous picture.

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Children and Congrats!!! I just wanted to pop on here since you were so kind in following me on my blog! I'm back and I posted an update as well! Blessings to you and your family!!

Ann aka: anxiousann

maz said...

Aw Robert he's bonny!
Orla looks pleased as punch with him too!
I've news myself although not on the baby front, no grand-babies yet but we've a wedding afoot! LOL

maz x

Robert said...

momcat - Yes, it's great that Lucas is home and we can visit him whenever we want. I also believe that family is important - gives children a secure base from which to grow. Unfortunately, Lucas's maternal grandmother doesn't share our values. Fortunately Collette knows by now what her mum's shortcomings are (and mine!), but she was a little let down on this occasion because her mum had promised her that she would visit immediately after the baby was born.

CJ - Even though Lucas was never in any danger at any time, I still had a niggling worry... It's gone now! My daughter took the picture.

Anne - Thanks for the congrats etc. I'll pop round later...

maz- Aye, he's a bonny wee bairn! Orla wanted to play with him all the time - and in truth, she was good with him. So you've a wedding afoot and the bride isn't pregnant?? (lol) See you at your place soon.

Rate My Sausage said...

Congratulations! You'll have enough for a football team before long.

Eric said...

Hi, ur blog is really nice and interesting, i truly like & enjoy it. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices. There are Expert advertising teams who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks. All u have to do is submit your blog plus pay affordable prices and rest leave it to Advertising Team for Promotion & Marketing then see how u enjoy a lots of quality traffic plus more readers to ur blog. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared with my friends hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.

Rachael said...

Thats great news Robert, i look forward to seeing more cute baby pics in the future!

Robert said...

RMS - A football team? I think that's a few years away lol

Rachael - Don't worry, more baby pics on the way!

Em said...

sweet picture robert. little orla looks so proud and cute.xxx

ladythinker said...

A really beautiful happy photo.