Marie's Agoraphobia, Monophobia & OCD - review of 2009
Marie's condition a year ago can be accessed here.
Marie's agoraphobia level fluctuated wildly during 2009, but at the end of the year, it was worse than when I met her in 1999. She had been improving, but when she stopped taking her medication on a regular basis - on two separate occasions - she was severely punished with a plethora of physical and psychological maladies. It took more than two months for these to abate. Mess with medication at your peril!
Marie can, at the start of 20010...
- Stay at home on her own, as long she knows that is at least one safe person at home nearby and I am less than 60 miles away. This is a little better than last year when I had to be less than 30 mile away.
- Go out in a car, with a safe person, almost anywhere - although her level of anxiety when out is unpredictable
- Walk 2 - 3 metres from our car/home/a safe place. This is back to the 2000 level & hasn't changed since last year.
- Stay in any non-threatening place (e.g. a house) with a selection of "safe" people, as long as they can drive and there is a car close by. This is unchanged since last year, but worse than 2000.
Marie cannot, at the start of 2010 -
- Be alone anywhere, if I am more than 60 miles away. Slight improvement on 2009.
- Be alone at any time (see above for exceptions)
- Walk more than 3 metres outside our building. Same as 2009.
- Walk more than 2 metres from a car in an open area
- Go anywhere, except by car and accompanied by a safe person
- Go into any large building - e.g. supermarkets, the doctors' surgery, hospital, office blocks - or go more than 4 metres away from the door of small buildings. This is a very small improvement from last year, but similar to 2000.
The symptoms of Marie's monophobia have become a little less severe. She is most definitely less anxious when I am absent from our home. This has helped me in my business and has also allowed me to take the children more often and with a lot less stress.
Marie's OCD has improved slightly. One day, without warning, she bought herself a new handbag (purse) - one which was only half the size of her old one. She hasn't filled it either, so it is a more normal weight. It doesn't sound like much, but in this one area, it's a major improvement.