Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Agoraphobia & the incapacitated carer

Suddenly, just after picking up Orla from her nursery, I was laid low by a raging fever. I took the maximum amount of temperature reducing tablets, but to little avail. By the time I should have been collecting Joseph from school, I was weak and near-delirious.

Marie was not pleased. What could be done? She hasn't driven to Joseph's school on her own for many months.

All of a sudden, she took Orla and the large family car (she has a small hatchback of her own) and disappeared. I assumed that she had somehow mustered up the courage to pick up our son.

She didn't come back for a long time. If I hadn't been in a high-temperature induced sleep, I would have been worried.

Eventually she turned up, safe and sound, with both children, Easter eggs, chocolate cookies and other extremely fattening cakes and biscuits. Marie and the children had been to the school's Easter Fayre! She hasn't been in the main school hall for years!

Later she drove to her friend's house on the other side of town.

I used to be worried about how Marie would cope if I took seriously ill or worse. Today she showed me that she can do what's necessary when the need arises.

I'm so proud of her.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

My temperature has been up and down all afternoon and evening. I have a headache and a very sensitive stomach, but I'm a lot better than I was. I guess it's a virus of some sort (isn't everything, these days?) and it will go away in a day or too.

I hope Marie's progress lasts longer than that!

9 comments:

Kaci said...

That's great she was able to do that! I hope that you feel better soon!

diver said...

Reading Marie's latest posts plus this one ... heaven's, it's all so progressive. I can appreciate how heartening these developments must be for you, too. It's just excellent to read a post like this, good on you both!

I too hope that you feel better soon! :)

Sarah♥ said...

I ♥ this post :)

(Not because you're ill of course..lol)

I'm so excited to see what happens next...


x

tulipsanddaisys said...

That is great progress and shows that however marie is feeling the children come before that. I know myself it cant have been easy. I have panic attacks whenever my partner is not nearby but she did it and did it very well.

rosiero said...

Really pleased to hear this. (Not that you are ill but about Marie's progress!!) It took a crisis to cure my phobias and I realised if I could do it then, I would always be able to do it. Life is too short, not a rehearsal and you don't get the chance to live it again. So I decided I was not going to let the phobias win! With you ill, Marie had no choice but to collect the children from school and as she was already there, got pulled into the school Fayre. Hope she builds on this.

alice said...

things are just getting better and better. i hope you are feeling well. and the video with the swing, it made me laugh. good trick.
alice.

Nechtan said...

Hi Robert,

hope you are feeling better today. You never know how long these pesky bugs are going to stay.

The news on Marie's progress is fantastic. I wonder how long you have been longing to be in a position to write a post like that. Credit to Marie and I am sure with this renewed confidence she will find a good footing to approach the future. It really is a remarkable turnaround in such a short space of time.

All the best

Nechtan

Kit Courteney said...

How cool is that?! No wonder you are proud.

Hope you feel better soon.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a definite upside to your being sick. Hope you're feeling better by now, though!